Author Topic: Can you help? How to check a file?  (Read 1254 times)

September 24, 2012, 10:39:51 AM
  • Superhero Member

:fugly:  I sent out a powerpoint file yesterday to the students.  At least 1 of them can't open it.  She & I assume it has a virus. 

I'm embarrassed to ask this, but just want to doublecheck ... how do I run a virus scan on that file?  I have Norton & can download McAfee.  The file is on a flash drive. 

Here's what I did
1.  put the flash drive in the laptop
2.  ran the virus scan for the whole computer, incl the flash drive
3.  45 problems came up/were fixed (but all on the c drive)
4.  everything else seemed ok

Is there anything I missed here?

help!  help!

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
Carl Sagan

September 24, 2012, 12:13:40 PM
Reply #1
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
    • My flickr photostream

Silly question but does she have a program to open a powerpoint file.  I had to download an app to open powerpoints.  Kind of like PDF needs adobe.   Just in case here is the download.  It is microsoft so it is fine as far a compatibility and viruses. 

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=6

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." ~ pooh

"Inevitably, the tears of heartbreak water the heart they came from, and we grow."~Luke Storms

September 24, 2012, 02:33:33 PM
Reply #2
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • everglades

Yep, I agree with Mox. She probably needs a program on her computer to open the program if she's the only person having the problem.
Hate is so ugly, no matter how much religion you wrap around it.~Mox

September 24, 2012, 03:00:47 PM
Reply #3
  • Full Members
  • Superhero Member
  • I Hate Everything!

I use Norton and you can single out just the file on the flash drive if you wanted to be absolutely sure...but the general check you did that included the drive should have been fine.

The ladies are probably correct...not everyone has powerpoint so your student may just need to download the viewer that mox posted.
"I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding" — Albert Einstein

September 24, 2012, 04:31:17 PM
Reply #4
  • Superhero Member

No, not a silly question.  & she has the right version.  I sent out a powerpoint last week that everyone was able to open (incl this student).

What I can't seem to recall (& this might be b/c I haven't slept properly in days & b/c I drank 2 strong coffees today or maybe b/c my brane is just plain fubar) is how to check just *1* file. 

duh
Carl Sagan

September 24, 2012, 05:26:37 PM
Reply #5
  • Full Members
  • Superhero Member
  • I Hate Everything!

Cripes...I'll look when I get home and let you know...I forget the steps... :fugly:
"I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding" — Albert Einstein

September 24, 2012, 08:06:57 PM
Reply #6
  • Superhero Member

Thanks Coach.  It is so encouraging that it is not top of mind for you either!
Carl Sagan

September 25, 2012, 10:58:05 AM
Reply #7
  • Superhero Member

Finally I figured out how to do it.  It was more like I had been doing it all along but did not have confidence I was actually doing it.  The file checked out as clean every time.  I resent it to the student and she was able to open it.  No clue why it would not open the first time.  Don't even want to guess why.  Just glad it's done.

Thank you to everyone here who let me borrow their brains!  I really appreciate it.  I have to say, once again, how kind everyone here is.  This is the best neighbourhood I ever lived in!!! 
Carl Sagan

September 25, 2012, 11:21:55 AM
Reply #8
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
    • My flickr photostream

I am glad all is fine now.  Strange that it wouldn't open the first time.  Must have dropped a file or two when it was downloaded the first time.
“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." ~ pooh

"Inevitably, the tears of heartbreak water the heart they came from, and we grow."~Luke Storms

September 25, 2012, 05:51:44 PM
Reply #9
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • everglades

So, how is class going?

September 26, 2012, 12:10:53 AM
Reply #10

September 26, 2012, 10:54:36 AM
Reply #11
  • Superhero Member

This is an intro class in Chinese medicine nutrition with a western nutrition component.  It's going ok so far, I guess.  The students say everything is clear.  Not all of them, but the ones who comment say it's clear.

This week coming up will be harder to teach b/c it is where we start getting into Chinese medicine theory & applying it to nutrition.  This class doesn't have *pre*-requisites, just *co*-requisites, so some students are also just learning the theoretical basics in the 'Foundations' course.  I know the Foundations text they use so I have been checking to make sure the terminology is aligned so they are not confused.  The nutrition text uses less standard terminology. 

The thing with Chinese medicine is that it is so old - at least 2000 yrs - that there are slightly different terms for the same concept and that can be confusing when you are new.  That's why it would be nice to just use the Chinese term & not get caught up in translating it!!  I guess I'm 'hardcore'   :giggle:   *gets off soapbox

Sorry, that was probably tmi.
Carl Sagan

September 27, 2012, 02:06:11 PM
Reply #12
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • everglades

Nope it wasn't. I'm glad it's going well. I knew you'd make a good teacher!  :grouphug:

September 27, 2012, 06:23:37 PM
Reply #13
  • Superhero Member

Carl Sagan