Author Topic: Home theatre system VS Soundbar  (Read 1671 times)

October 12, 2012, 12:38:41 PM
  • Mistress Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Judge not lest ye be judged yourself

so I live in a small apt where a surround sound system seems to be too much considering the size and then the neighbors...i see these new soundbar things. Are they worth the $? Would it be a better alternative for someone living in a smaller place?

October 12, 2012, 09:17:27 PM
Reply #1
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • everglades

I have no clue at all. If you want the surround sound, what about buying headphones?
Hate is so ugly, no matter how much religion you wrap around it.~Mox

October 12, 2012, 09:33:37 PM
Reply #2
  • Superhero Member
  • Mister: Slayer of strings and squeaky mice.

I gave/loaned my surround sound system to a friend because it got me in dutch with the landlord and neighbors. I had the bass cranked all the way down and it was still bothering people. I decided it's just not worth the hassle. I used the tv speakers and I really don't miss it. Whatever you do I would EXTENSIVELY test it at the store to judge whether it's going to be a hassle for neighbors or not. The problem I had with mine was watching movies and it would crank the sound effects way up but I couldn't hear the dialogue. I would turn up the volume to hear the dialogue and then I wasn't quick enough on the remote when something exploded and it would piss people off. It seems like quite a few movies with surround sound are just like that where they turn up all the sound effects or sometimes even just the volume of the music. There was really nothing I could do about it but just turn the damn thing off.

October 13, 2012, 02:41:24 PM
Reply #3

My roommate had surround sound in her old apartment. It didn't bother the neighbors, but she was usually watching romantic comedies, things without explosions and stuff like that. I think it would probably be better to just go with regular sound.
This too shall pass.

October 13, 2012, 02:47:51 PM
Reply #4
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member

yeah i will prob just live without the surround sound

October 22, 2012, 04:58:02 PM
Reply #5

If your into gaming then i'd look into surround sound headphones,watching tv,dvd's and so on i'd look at a surround sound system you can always turn the bass on the sub-woofer down so the neigbours stay happy with you..

October 22, 2012, 09:29:48 PM
Reply #6
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member

I used to game but dont anymore..I would just use it for movies, but if your watching with a friend, then headphones arent an option. Im still debating over it, but wanted to know what the hype is on the soundbars.

November 05, 2012, 09:11:23 PM
Reply #7

Ive had my soundbar for a year now and its amazing much better then surround systems for homes unless your willing to fork out hundreds of dollars then they can be amazing to.

November 06, 2012, 01:54:27 PM
Reply #8

I haven't heard of sound bars before. How do they work?
This too shall pass.

November 06, 2012, 04:55:33 PM
Reply #9

They are an all in one sound system that hooks up to you Tv/DVD player much cheaper than surround sound and they are smaller depending on the size you get. Its just a compact sound system.

November 06, 2012, 07:03:51 PM
Reply #10

Oh ok. I take it that it's not as loud and disruptive to neighbors as surround sound?
This too shall pass.

November 06, 2012, 08:12:06 PM
Reply #11

All depends on how loud you play it.

November 07, 2012, 01:07:49 PM
Reply #12
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member

it just lays on your floor in front of the TV..it doesnt have the sub woofer that most surround sound systems have. That is what makes the most noise is the bass on the sub woofer.

November 07, 2012, 03:35:55 PM
Reply #13

Ah, I see. I don't know why I'm asking anyway, since I'm too cheap to buy something like that.  :nerd:
This too shall pass.

October 03, 2013, 02:32:42 AM
Reply #14
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member

I got a sound bar that has 2 sattelite speakers and a subwoofer, so essentially its like a downsized home theatre sytem. It was very reasonable priced and it sounds fabulous!