Author Topic: Superhero/Comicbook film, comics, etc. Opinions by Afloat and others.  (Read 2694 times)

November 06, 2013, 08:44:26 PM

I'm unsure how many of you enjoy our generation of Superhero films or past generation films or the comics themselves or heck even memorabilia, so........! I decided to start a discussion that I may carry to talk to you all about my passion. And if your into what I talk about feel free to share opinions and ideas....

So, lets do it!

For me being 23 the first MAJOR comic book oriented film that really "SHOCKED" me at how damn good it was, was Spider-Man (2002). After that (being 12 at the time) I was hooked and went back and watched X-Men (2000) which I like better, and continued to go back in time all the way to Superman 79', a classic. Since then I have seen 98% of all comic book films (Elecktra, Punisher, Punisher War Zone I all opted to stay away from until I finally give in, though I have seen bits of Punisher (2004))

So now with the discussion. I obviously love films, I truly do, they are magical. However with Superheros there are sooooooooooooo many ways to go about making a movie based upon the icons. To date my favorite Superhero film is a tie between Batman Begins and Man of Steel, yes I LOVE DC over Marvel. To any newbies Marvel and DC are the two biggest comic book publishers ever created and believe it or not on the silver screen or on paper have never really competed. Reason being is most everyone loves both equally or enough to buy both products.

Getting back to the films I can honestly say I've seen the mass majority of these films turn out better, then worse. Probably the biggest disappointments far as these films go is Superman 3,4, Returns (though I like it) , Fantastic Four 1 and Silver Surfer (which is a guilty pleasure but still pretty bad), Spider-Man 3 (I like it), Daredevil (directors cut isn't bad, could be better though), and last but nice least.........Ghost Rider 1 and especially two.

With Superman 3 and 4 the biggest issue was Warner Bros. (who owns all DC comic property) after the sucess of the original they flew through production of every film and with number 2 they fired the legendary Richard Donner for a director named Richard Lester, later though like two decades later Donner came back to the franchise with the excellent "Richard Donner Cut" of Superman 2, which was dedicated to Christopher Reeve. Aside from Warner wanting to pump these films out for $$$ they also had troubling scripts and despite being a legend and a great guy Reeve wanted to keep Superman as light as possible making it very hard to use alternate takes on the character...remember this is my opinions with a few facts as will all of my post(s).

Superman Returns was finally given the go ahead in 2004 with X-Men director at the helm (Bryan Singer, good director btw) sadly he chose to make a follow up to Superman 2 The Richard Donner Cut which sounds great but for 2006 (its release year) it was a terrible idea...and not to mention they took away Superman's appeal....ACTION! Now as I said I liked Returns but it disapointed me and thousands of people miserably. The lack of action, the long, long boring scenes that we'd scene in some shape or form in the past 4 Superman films but this time we had good visuals in a modern day. In the end Superman Returns should have "Returned" with more appeal.

With Fantastic Four 1 and 2 the blame should go to Fox studios. Fox however is also responsible for the "mostly" good X-Men films. You see the reason Marvel unlike DC DOESN'T own all its proprities is because they sold them thinking comic based films would do nothing, well in the late 1990's Blade was a break out sucess which is a Marvel property and they saw an oppurtunity much like DC did with Batman and Superman in the 70's and 80's as well as today. The Difference is Marvel had so little power over what studios would do until now but I won't get into that so soon. Now getting back to Fantastic Four. The cast was pretty terrible, I mean Jessice Alba isn't the MOST beautiful woman in the world but she isn't exactly someone you'd want to play a character named "Invisible Woman"....duh! No seriously it wasn't that, it was the fact that she can't act (my opinion) and she has very little power on screen. As for the rest of the cast....they were worse, so bad in their roles that I don't even know their names without looking them up, that is SAD! Their is one cool thing about these Fantastic films (lol, I kid, I kid!) no that is the reason, they kid themselves, they don't take themselves seriouslly and are fun family films. Also the Silver Sufur was done well, but not accurate enough, but visually stunning enough to make the second one a bit more "fun". Lastly the director, he just isn't cut out for big budget high grade special effects mixed with deep stories (which the Fantastic Four comics had).....thankfully we are supposedly getting a 2015 reboot of these classic characters, though I hope they struggle with scripts long enough for the deadline to revert back the rights to Marvel Entertainment, so the company that created them can oversea the process.

Now to clarify some things. Spider-Man as of now is owned by Sony/Columbia Pictures, as WAS Ghost Rider until this year. X-Men, Fantastic Four are owned by Fox as were Daredevil and Elecktra but since the rights have reverted back to Marvel.  Obviously their are tons of other characters owned by different studios that are Marvel characters but i'm to lazy to name them all.

Now getting back to my reviews on the "bad" films that I either consider bad or consider so bad their good.

Daredevil, firstly Ben Affelck IS a good actor, imo. Though I'd admit he has become an emensly talented director/writer that has over shadowed his acting. I am very excited that he is our first "old" Batman (41)....cannot wait for the Batman Vs. Superman film in 2015. Anyway getting back to Daredevil. Played by Affleck this film is carried by him as well. Mark Steven Johnson had no clue what to do with budgets (he directed this and Ghost Rider 1)...and clearly he is one of the most disliked directors to ever touch a comic book film. The cast like them or not were actually the best case scenario for the time this was made (2003)...and resulted in a mixed reception. One thing is for sure, Fox studios should never touch Daredevil again (and won't now Marvel owns their character again) and next time PLEASE make daredevil DARK, he isn't a light character....also the directors cut for this film is actually pretty good..I'd watch it again anyway.

Ghost Rider 1 and 2. Wow, the worst of all I have mentioned. Especially number 2 which really slaps fans in the face. It would be exhausting to say why they are so bad, but in short they are so light hearted that they are actually watchable to laugh at, I own the first one mainly because it came with a cool figured, lol. But seriouslly if your a fan, you'd know the character is dark and the movies are not...well not enough. The action is terrible as is most of the acting (sorry Nicholas Cage!)....thankfully this property has also reverted back to Marvel, goodbye Sony!

Lastly, Spider-Man 3.

This film is one of my favorite bad films. First off Sam Raimi (the director) is excellent I loved his Evil Dead trilogy as well as a few other films and his first two Spider-Man films. The problem with this film was a mixture of the writers strike and Sony telling Raimi {who also wrote the screen plays for all three "original" films) HURRY UP! Well, saying hurry up is a bad idea and look what we got an unfinished peace of gold, err I mean crap...lol. No, I liked this film a lot considering it had tons and tons of bad ideas...7/10.

Now that my reviews for tonight are over here is some news. 

For Marvel fans, The Avengers 2 is named Age of Ultron. It should be alright if you liked the first, me I'm like meh, whatever, its ok. Also Phase 3 ( currently Marvel is on Phase 2) should have Ant-Man, and for sure Guardians of the Galaxy (comes out in August of 2014), and a few other secrets of unknown properties to the general public.

For DC fans, Batman and Superman WILL be on screen together, in 2015. Man of Steel got a sequel, with an upgrade. I loved Man Of Steel because it gave Supes his balls back, I mean I enjoyed Reeve and even Routh (Superman Returns) but seriously if you have ever read the comics you'll know Superman isn't JUST some guy who saves cats. I won't spoil anything for ya but Man of Steel shows Superman having to make a lot of moral choices to save his new home. And lastly with the sequel we get to see an older Dark Knight with Ben Affleck now I am sure everyone who is into movies or comics or both have read the massive hate he has gotten online but at the end of the day I bet every dollar I make he will blow everyone who doubted him away.

Also rumor has it Wonder Woman will make her big screen debut in the Batman/Superman film, yay!

Now, I will update this topic with many of my opinions and thoughts on the comic book world routinely so if your interested check back.

November 06, 2013, 09:24:11 PM
Reply #1

Any word on who will be playing Wonder Woman?  She dates back to my time, when Linda Carter played her on television.

November 06, 2013, 09:34:37 PM
Reply #2

Any word on who will be playing Wonder Woman?  She dates back to my time, when Linda Carter played her on television.

A few names have surfaced but nothing for sure. I'll link you the two rumored, possibles.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1526352/?ref_=nv_sr_1

and

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1385871/?ref_=nv_sr_1

November 06, 2013, 09:49:35 PM
Reply #3
  • Superhero Member

Thanks for the update on Wonder Woman!  It will be interesting to see who gets the role.  Thanks for the links, Afloat.

As always I am amazed by your knowledge & enthusiasm.  :grouphug:
(I have a hard time with movies - they are usually too loud & scary for me, chicken that I am.)
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
Carl Sagan

November 06, 2013, 10:07:30 PM
Reply #4

Thanks for the update on Wonder Woman!  It will be interesting to see who gets the role.  Thanks for the links, Afloat.

As always I am amazed by your knowledge & enthusiasm.  :grouphug:
(I have a hard time with movies - they are usually too loud & scary for me, chicken that I am.)

Yw, movies in general well art in general keep me going. So I say keep the art coming!

November 06, 2013, 10:19:47 PM
Reply #5

Thank for the links, Afloat. I'll  be interested to see who actually gets it.

Art is beautiful.  I keep a place for it in my life, too. :pump:

November 06, 2013, 10:54:06 PM
Reply #6

Thank for the links, Afloat. I'll  be interested to see who actually gets it.

Art is beautiful.  I keep a place for it in my life, too. :pump:

:toss:

November 06, 2013, 11:30:00 PM
Reply #7
  • Mistress Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Judge not lest ye be judged yourself

reading along here...Batman is my favorite. I was not pleased with Affleck being picked but I will give him a chance. Going to be hard for me to get past his romantic comedy parts for it though.

November 06, 2013, 11:32:31 PM
Reply #8

reading along here...Batman is my favorite. I was not pleased with Affleck being picked but I will give him a chance. Going to be hard for me to get past his romantic comedy parts for it though.

The Town + Argo make me sure he is ready for Batman <3. Thanks for reading Kel, :).

November 07, 2013, 02:05:07 AM
Reply #9
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
    • My flickr photostream

I remember the first Superman movie.  I sneaked a bigmac, fries and a coke into the theater in my purse. lol  It was a big purse.  There is a lot of information here.   Thanks for sharing all this information.  Your passion shows. 
“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." ~ pooh

"Inevitably, the tears of heartbreak water the heart they came from, and we grow."~Luke Storms

November 07, 2013, 09:56:46 AM
Reply #10

Linda Carter is making a guest appearance tonight on 'Two & A Half Men'.  I saw a clip, and she still looks amazing, even after all these years.

November 07, 2013, 12:11:01 PM
Reply #11
  • Superhero Member
  • Mister: Slayer of strings and squeaky mice.

My favorite movie so far is The Avengers. As far as DC vs. Marvel goes I think Marvel has more interesting, character driven stories, although that has changed a bit with the newer issues of regular DC titles. That being said the Vertigo line is my favorite. I like the titles like Sandman, Hellblazer, Preacher and Swamp Thing.

November 07, 2013, 04:03:52 PM
Reply #12

Wonder Woman: had no idea how far her origins go back in 20th century comic book history. She was created by a psychologist, William Moulton Marston, in the early 1940's :thinker:

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 04:16:45 PM by sunny day girl »

November 07, 2013, 07:02:09 PM
Reply #13
  • Mistress Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Judge not lest ye be judged yourself

Im not big into the superheros, altho I do like watching the new movies. I did Love the new Superman movie and look forward to the next and yes of course SuperWOMAN!  :rock:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 07:03:15 PM by Kel »

November 08, 2013, 12:21:14 AM
Reply #14

I watched Two and a Half Men tonight.  Linda Carter was very funny!  Btw, she look fabulous at 62. :good: