Author Topic: Superhero/Comicbook film, comics, etc. Opinions by Afloat and others.  (Read 2833 times)

November 09, 2013, 12:38:38 PM
Reply #15
  • Superhero Member

Moxie, I can just imagine this! 
I sneaked a bigmac, fries and a coke into the theater in my purse. lol  It was a big purse.

Yeah, I noticed LC was a guest on that show but didn't see it!  I am sure she looks great b/c she has such great, strong features!  Glad you mentioned that, Sunny!
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
Carl Sagan

November 09, 2013, 04:12:09 PM
Reply #16

LC is a mature looking woman now, but mature in a beautiful and graceful way.  She still has great features and all the curves she did back in the 70's, just a little more rounded out now.  She is one elegant and beautiful woman.

Btw, on the show,  LC turned out to be a cougar. She wanted to bag Walden!

November 12, 2013, 12:38:18 AM
Reply #17
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • everglades

Loved Chris Reeve's Superman!

My daughter and her dad think I'm nuts, but I like Man of Steel better than The Avengers and  Star Trek: Into the Darkness. I like all three movies, but I'd put them Man of Steel, Into the Darkness and The Avengers in that order. That's just me. The other two would put Man of Steel last when it's the better movie...in my opinion.
Hate is so ugly, no matter how much religion you wrap around it.~Mox

November 14, 2013, 04:59:02 PM
Reply #18

Thanks everyone for the comments, I wasn't expecting anyone to even read this hehe, I appreciate it :). I plan on updating it soon just to tired as of late to do a lot of writing. :grouphug:

November 14, 2013, 05:09:17 PM
Reply #19

Opps I almost forgot!!!!!!!

I watched the one, the only, the awful, the graphic novel adaptation of R.I.P.D (Rest In Peace Department). Now firstly I've not read the comic/graphic novel and now having watched the film I do NOT want to read it.

I'm usually all for really stupid funny serious ideas like Cowboys & Aliens (which was a graphic novel) I mean that film as dumb as the title was, well it was fun! IMO, that is. However with R.I.P.D, it had almost nothing to say "that was decent". In fact I gave it a 3/10. One of the lowest rated titles I've ever rated. Now the question is why did I watch it? Well I'm a fan of Ryan Reynolds even though 95% of his films are bad (even Green Lantern a cool character ended up terrible in his hands...opps I mean the directors hands :P). In fact the only film he has been in that I LOVE is The Proposal (love Sandy)...anyway back to the awful RIPD. The story is about a cop who dies and is given basically a second life as a police officer who goes around in the living world finding the dead who are trying to live among the living, uh basically. So in turn they decided to make a 150-200M dollar movie based on a stupid idea that was executed so poorly I felt after the credits I should have gotten the $4.99 rental credited back to my account, lol. My biggest issue with the film was Jeff Bridges, obviously the director told him "hey, you're playing a dead 1800's cowboys/cop/northern soldier so your accent has to sound like someone who is so far south their accent got stuck in an elevator going north (a pun toward the elevator in the movie). So now that I've laid down what all I hated about this comic adaptation, lets lay down the good. Reynolds love interest was attractive, Kevin Bacon played a decent villain but was very cliche, Reynolds and Bridges had decent chemistry, and lastly the film tried to use "Hellboy" (one of my favorite comicbooks and comicbook films) as a learning tool to make this movie, but they failed to meet the fun of Hellboy 1 and 2.

If you ever see this on cable, still I wouldn't recommend it. Anyway I hated it, lol. Hope you enjoyed my review.

November 14, 2013, 10:40:09 PM
Reply #20
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • everglades

I'll know not to bother. Thanks for the review.
Hate is so ugly, no matter how much religion you wrap around it.~Mox

November 14, 2013, 11:45:59 PM
Reply #21
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
    • My flickr photostream

Awesome review!  I haven't watched many movies in a long time, and I have no idea what movies are out there.  I know very few of the new actors out there.  You did mention a few names I recognize though, so I am not a total neophyte.  I was always and still am a geek of sorts.  I watch almost always something like a documentary or a short film.  I have watched a few films in the last 6 months, two were named Samsara.  One was an Indian movie about a monk who leaves the monastery and his day to day then he meets a womand  is smitten.  He had lived in the monastery since he was 5 so it was very ingrained in him and it was a hard decision to make, but he leaves the monastery for her and marries her.  Anyways things get into a simple way of life.  No machinery or any modern day amenities, very rustic and what one would assume as a past way of life.  He and his father in law go in search of a better price for their harvest. spoiler alert... They went to modern day Timbuktu or where ever.  A stark difference from the first part of the film.  Up until that point it seemed as if all that had taken place happened hundreds of years ago and to be thrust into the modern noise absolutely made my jaw drop.  I had not expected that.  Anyways it was all in subtitles.  I went to look for it a couple of weeks ago and the video I had seen, the one with english subtitles, had been removed.  All I could find were Spanish, German, Chinese, Korean and half dozen other languages, just not english.  So I just watched the german one without really understanding the actual words, but I remembered most of what had been said.  Some of the scenery was amazing.  I think it was filmed in the Himalayas.  I really enjoyed the movie and it had plenty of things to keep you wanting to watch more. I recommend it if you can find it.  I just went to see about watching it again and found an hungarian version of the movie that allows me to have the CC translated to english. Looks like I might watch it again.  I looked on Amazon for a rental and couldn't find one.  I don't have netflix so I have idea if you can get it on there.  It would be know as Samsara (2001)

The other Samsara (2013) was an experience that was out of this world.  Or to be more exact an experience of the being in this world.  It wasn't a regular movie with actors and it wasn't really a documentary.  There was no dialogue.  Only the moving, changing world.  I highly recommend that one as well.  It was on youtube for rental.  It is on Amazon as a rental.  Well worth the $3.99 in my opinion. 

Oops sorry to hijack the thread.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 12:25:18 AM by moxielady »
“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." ~ pooh

"Inevitably, the tears of heartbreak water the heart they came from, and we grow."~Luke Storms

November 15, 2013, 12:38:46 AM
Reply #22
  • Superhero Member

Moxie, I found a Samsara dvd in the public library system.  I'm not sure it's either of the 2 you mentioned but it also sounds great. 
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
Carl Sagan

November 15, 2013, 12:47:57 AM
Reply #23
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
    • My flickr photostream

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." ~ pooh

"Inevitably, the tears of heartbreak water the heart they came from, and we grow."~Luke Storms

January 06, 2014, 05:19:59 PM
Reply #24

I'm really depressed today so I decided I'd blog here about one thing that brings a smile to my face. Thanks in advanced for reading.

I am a huge Superman/Batman fan and with the upcoming shooting schedule starting in February we will for the first time get to see Superman and Batman on screen together. In this article I will prove and disprove opinions and rumors surrounding the film.

Henry Cavill will be the lead again as Superman/Clark Kent. This is a Man of Steel sequel, not just a buddy action flick.

Batman will be played by Ben Affleck. This guy has gotten so much hate but then again so did Micheal Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, and Christian Bale who played Batman, only two of them were successful and only two are considered good (Keaton/Bale).

Affleck was at one time a terrible artist, he starred in so many bad Rom/Coms that it wasn't even funny, yet many overlooked the fact he won an Oscar before he was truly famous for his writing (with co-writer Matt Damon who is also now successful) in Good Will Hunting.

Affleck recently won an another Oscar for being a producer on his directed Argo. Which is one of the best films in the last 15 years, and probably the best "Best Picture" winner since Gladiator. So in turn Affleck has gotten behind the camera as a director, producer, and writer and now has successfully restored his image, and at the same time acted in top bill in his two back to back critically acclimed movies (The Town/Argo) both in which he wrote and or directed or both.

Having said that he will play a seasoned/older Batman with experience, most likely a similar Batman from "The Dark Knight Returns" comic book/graphic novel in the late 80s.

It is said his appearance will not be an origin story as most know who Batman is PLUS this is a veteran Batman (remember Affleck is 40+....I think he'll be like 44 by the time this comes out so easily the oldest Batman ever cast) they (Zack Snyder) did this for good reason. He wanted a Batman that could question Superman's decisions in Man of Steel (spoilers) like killing General Zod. For those who do not know, Batman isn't a killer, but neither is Superman, but if you watch the movie what he did was a necessity considering the circumstance.

In addition to Batfleck (Affleck's Batman new name, lol) comes a newbie actress to play for the very first time on the big screen.....

*drumroll*

WONDER WOMAN. Gal Gadot is her name http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2933757/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Before anyone who loves the character freaks by her petite appearance you should do your homework on the director of this project. Zack Snyder ALWAYS gets his actors/actresses in shape for physical roles, 300, Watchmen, Man of Steel, even Sucker Punch (although he had to keep those women smaller due to continuity). Another fact is Gadot also is a fitness nut who spent 2 years as a sports trainer in IDF. Also it is nice to know that she was cast, because Snyder for me has never miscast a comic book/graphic novel character (Gerard Butler in 300, The entire cast of Watchmen, now Henry Cavill as Superman).

The big trio, WW, Batman, and Superman are the biggest and most well known heroes to ever be written in comic book history and finally fans get to see them on screen together.

Questions remain, how can this be just a Superman film? Answer? Watch Iron Man 2, for better or worse that was still a Iron Man film with additional characters. And I liked it, much more then 3 by a landslide. Also since we do not have a script to Batman vs. Superman. There is no reason to think it will be actually Batman vs. Superman, as that is simply the unofficial casting title used for production info. Also we have to remember that Man of Steel was a huge blockbuster and wouldn't make any sense to make a Batman movie to outshine Henry Cavill's Batman right away.

Also:

The rumor is Joaquin Phoenix may play Lex Luthor. Mind you the likely hood of him accepting is slim. This guy is an incredible actor so if he does somehow do it then he'd probably pull another Heath Ledger in the aspect where we might see a villain in a comic book movie get a Oscar win or nomination.

Fact is more likely then not Lex Luthor will be the villain against all three of the big trio. However who will play him is still unconfirmed though I suspect casting will be in the next 2 weeks as filming starts in February.

The other rumor is Superman and his friends will face a second foe in this film, possibly Brianiac ? Who knows?

In short this film should be much more fun to follow and watch then anything Marvel has done simply because we get to see the three biggest and best (in most peoples eyes) superheros on screen TOGETHER.

Now don't get me wrong its ok to be hesitant toward casting but to not be open to the possibilities well you could miss out on a great film with great performances. Personally I cannot see anyone else playing Batman if they are looking for an "older" Batman. I'm easily on Affleck's side on this one.

January 06, 2014, 05:33:59 PM
Reply #25

I still haven't seen Man of Steel, but from all the rave reviews it's getting, it sounds like I need to.

I didn't care for the Avengers, but that might be because I didn't see any of the preceding films, so I didn't know the back story.

This is all great info, afloat. Thanks for sharing.
This too shall pass.

January 06, 2014, 05:35:13 PM
Reply #26

I'm pretty sure you would enjoy it. It has much more story depth then most comic book films.

January 06, 2014, 05:36:26 PM
Reply #27

Slightly off topic, but did you ever watch the Batman cartoon that was on cartoon network? I thought it was really good. I liked how it gave the villains depth and reasons for their behaviors rather than just being evil.
This too shall pass.

January 06, 2014, 05:44:26 PM
Reply #28

I did. I've seen just about everything Batman/Superman. DC comics generally give more depth to their heroes and villains then Marvel. So you may enjoy their stuff more, just a thought.

January 06, 2014, 05:52:38 PM
Reply #29

There was also that live action Batman that was pretty much a comedy.

Was the Avengers Marvel or DC?
This too shall pass.